[Avodah] Simchas Torah is Really a Holiday for Bavel and not EY

Simon Montagu via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Oct 14 16:24:03 PDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 7:54 PM, Prof. Levine via Avodah <
avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

> And indeed this has been my question all along.  Why did the Jews when
> they returned to EY adopt the "Golus" practice of reading the Torah yearly
> as was done in Bavel?  Why didn't they go back to the original practice of
> EY?

I think as a general rule the Jews expelled from Spain retained their own
minhag in the lands where they were dispersed rather than adopting the
local practice, whether in North Africa, Italy, the Balkans or wherever. If
this was the case in places where there was already a community with a
continuous minhag of its own, then all the more so in EY where (AFAIK) the
triennial cycle and other old EY minhagim were no longer current in the
15th century.