[Avodah] The Many Facets of Asarah B'Teves

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Dec 18 11:10:16 PST 2015

On 12/17/2015 11:13 PM, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:
> On 12/18/2015 3:08 AM, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:

>> Not true.  Tisha B'av can't be on Friday.  If it were possible for
>> it to fall on a Friday, there is no reason to believe we would delay it.

> I think that they mean in a theoretical, eidut determining the
>  chodesh, type situation.

Once again, AFAIK there is no reason at all to believe that if it any
other fast fell on a Friday it would be delayed.  The only fast that
*is* delayed if it falls on a Friday is Yom Kippur, not because it's
a fast (since it's delayed to Shabbos!) but because of the issur
melacha.   (Of course, since the Torah specifies Yom Kippur's date,
the only way to delay it is to delay Rosh Hashana, so that is what we do.)

There *is* an opinion that in the hypothetical case that Asara B'Tevet
were to fall on Shabbos we would fast, but I believe the only reason
this opinion gets the play that it does is because it's only hypothetical.
If it were possible for it to actually happen we would not give this
opinion any consideration, and in fact it might never have been advanced
at all, since its originator would have known that we don't do that.

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week