[Avodah] Is it Musar to Buy Chocolate?

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Dec 18 10:34:48 PST 2015

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 01:09:52PM -0500, Yosef Gavriel Bechhofer via Avodah wrote:
: When I saw the title, I thought this conversation would be about
: whether there is a heter al pi mussar to eat chocolate, which is an
: indulgence, other than on rare occasions. A similar question may be
: applied to certain cuts of steak - which have recently become
: available to retail consumers - etc.

I tend to write "mussar" the way you did -- with two "s"-es. This was
just a fortuitous typo for "mutar".

Wouldn't Rav Shimon Shkop (and others) argue that any oneg that is
used for the sake of avodas Hashem is not a mussar issue? IOW, enjoy
your chocolate until you realized you are eating chocolate for its own
sake, rather than because the pick-me-up would be useful in order to
face / continue facing <fill in the blank>.

Want to discuss the mussar of eating white veal?

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             Feeling grateful  to or appreciative of  someone
micha at aishdas.org        or something in your life actually attracts more
http://www.aishdas.org   of the things that you appreciate and value into
Fax: (270) 514-1507      your life.         - Christiane Northrup, M.D.