[Avodah] halacha and history

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Dec 16 01:06:26 PST 2015

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 09:43:11PM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
:> But none of these people were kohanim gedolim, doing the
:> role al pi halakhah.
:
: I thought that this is a binary status: either one *is* a kohen gadol, or
: he *isn't*. Are you saying that they were kohen gadol but didn't deserve
: the position? Or are you saying that their violations caused them to lose
: the title (sort of like how a regular kohen who married a divorcee is no
: longer allowed the privileges of kehuna).

I am saykng that Josephus could likely list the high priests who served
while the Miyavnim had control of the BHMQ and were using it as a temple
to some G-d - Zeus amalgam deity.

During that era, while people like Jason and Menileus called themselves
"kohein gadol" those loyal to Torah might have appoimted someone to be our
real KG even though he had no tahor BHMQ to serve in. I was suggesting
that this was Matisyahu's role, amd why Al haNisim calls him KG even
though he wasn't on the list of succession.

But it is entirely my own guesswork, a variation of the idea that AhM
means "a great kohein" rather than the title "Kohein Gadol".

Micha Berger             When memories exceed dreams,
micha at aishdas.org        The end is near.
http://www.aishdas.org                   - Rav Moshe Sherer
Fax: (270) 514-1507