[Avodah] halacha and history

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Dec 15 16:12:47 PST 2015

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 07:13:06PM +0200, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
: Actually the war was won many years later. Furthermore it seems that they
: entered Jerusalem earlier and waited until 25 Kislev to rededicate the
: mikdash. The 25th was picked because thats when the Greeks entered the
: Temple and also when Chaggai dedicated the second Temple.

... based on the belief that Zekhariah (contemporary to Chagai) said
this was the date of the dedication of the final BHMQ. Which may explain
the choice of navi for the hafatarah of Shabbos Chanukah.

(See R Menchaem Liebtag's take at
<http://etzion.org.il/vbm/english/chanuka/2chanpac.htm> although I
found that hunting for a thesis I was exposed to in HS. So I know
it's not RML's chiddush.)

Which, if qidsha leshaata qidsha le'asid lavo, is already fulfilled.

Micha Berger             It isn't what you have, or who you are, or where
micha at aishdas.org        you are,  or what you are doing,  that makes you
http://www.aishdas.org   happy or unhappy. It's what you think about.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Dale Carnegie