[Avodah] halacha and history

Lisa Liel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Dec 14 02:55:46 PST 2015

On 12/14/2015 6:34 AM, via Avodah wrote:
> 1.  Could it be that Yochanan "kohen gadol" doesn't mean "High Priest"
> but rather "a great priest"?
> 2. Could it be that Josephus' list of Kohanim Gedolim is incomplete
> and inaccurate?  Highly likely, I'd say.
> 3. Could it be that Matisyahu became Kohen Gadol -- or Acting Kohen
> Gadol -- only for a short while, just the time it took to purify the
> BHM'K and maybe for a short time thereafter?  And if so, the fact that
> he formerly lived in Modi'in is irrelevant, because when he purified
> the BHM'K (and acted as Kohen Gadol) he was necessarily in Jerusalem.

Mattitiyahu didn't purify the Mikdash.  He was dead before we were able
to take it back.  It was Yehudah who did that.  Also, "Mattitiyahu ben
Yochanan Kohen Gadol" doesn't mean "Mattitiyahu ben Yochanan, Kohen
Gadol".  It means "Mattitiyahu -- ben Yochanan Kohen Gadol".

The name Onias, by which several of the High Priests of the time were
known, is the Greek transliteration of Chonyo, which is a short form of
Yochanan.  Like Rick and Richard.  Jason, the Hellenist High Priest, was
the successor to his brother Onias III, who is probably the Yochanan
Kohen Gadol who was the father of Mattitiyahu.

Lisa