[Avodah] Definition of a Mechalel Shabbos Befarhesya

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Dec 13 23:09:56 PST 2015

Lisa is of course quite right, A guy who smokes at home during Shabbat is
afraid of what people will say, but not of Hashem's judgement, while a guy
who walks down the street on Shabbat smoking a cigar just doesn't really
care.

So here we have the convergence of our relationship with HKBH and our
relationship with the Kehilla
It is reasonable to consider that wanting to comply and even feeling
coerced to comply with Kehilla standards is acceptance of Ol Malchus
Shamayim

whilst the guy who does not care is clearly rebelling - which implies he
recognises HKBH and is defiant, or could not care because he really does
not believe
either way that would be a MShB

but our co-relgionists who pledge loyalty of sorts - do not fit into either
of these categories - so I think we can say they are not to be classified
as Halachic MShB

Best,

Meir G. Rabi