[Avodah] chu'l duchening

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Dec 6 11:43:58 PST 2015

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 07:02:01AM +1100, Isaac Balbin via Avodah wrote:
: I read a Teshuva from R Hershel Schachter where he wrote that TODAY
: a Mechalel Shabbos Befarhesya who happens to be a Cohen has a CHIYUV to
: Duchen....

I think RHS's point is that today, there is no "befarhesia" in the sense
needed to qualify someone as a MSbF. That the point of MSbF is that it
shows he is neither concerned about Shabbos or who knows about it. But
with a non-observant majority ba'avoseihu harabbim, it is too socially
acceptable to violate Shabbos for someone's violation to be all that
"in your face" even when in public.

: The suggestion of walking out could make me seem like a consistent Baal
: Keri or Baal Moom and I felt very uncomfortable with a charade of sheker.

But if someone is being excluded from duchening for being a MSbF
wouldn't that be an honest statement of being a MSbF? Why would he
feel it's dishonestly claiming to be excluded for a different reason,
or make implications about their yichus?

Micha Berger             Never must we think that the Jewish element
micha at aishdas.org        in us could exist without the human element
http://www.aishdas.org   or vice versa.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch