[Avodah] submission to an authority

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Dec 4 10:38:23 PST 2015

On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 11:18:44AM -0500, David Riceman via Avodah wrote:
:> In the realm of halakhah, I think so -- asei lekha rav. And this
:> holds for your rav as well.
:
: There's a difference between deference and submission.  One has to
: consider carefully before disagreeing with one's rebbe, but there's
: no prohibition.  Witness the many cases in Hazal and rishonim where
: it happens, e.g., H. Shehita 11:10.

I would accept that correction. But it would still require having a
rebbe to defer to.

See also what I recently posted about mesorah as a dialog down the
generations. Withut a rebbe, you're not sitting in on the conversation.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             People were created to be loved.
micha at aishdas.org        Things were created to be used.
http://www.aishdas.org   The reason why the world is in chaos is that
Fax: (270) 514-1507      things are being loved, people are being used.