[Avodah] Ahab

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Dec 4 04:58:28 PST 2015

On 12/03/2015 03:21 PM, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
>> The specific problem was marrying Canaanites. Yosef married an Egyptian,
>> and Moshe a Midianite.

> Esav seems to be crticized for marrying in the family of Ishmael. What was
> wrong with that?

There was nothing wrong with that.  AFAIK nobody criticises him for it.
But as Rashi says, if he meant it he would have divorced his bad wives.

>> No, it was zera kodesh, not mixing with the cursed seed of Kenaan,

> Who did the sons of Yaakov marry? Even if he had daughters one cant marry a
> sister.

Rashi says as the first and primary pshat that each son had a twin sister,
so there were six girls for Leah's sons to marry, and the other sons could
marry Leah's daughters.

> Also I would assume that the were people in Caanan who were not
>  descendantsof Canaan (eg Tamar)

Indeed there were, and the second pshat is that they married such
girls.  For instance, Rashi specifically says that Yehuda's first
father-in-law was a trader, *not* a Kenaani.

On 12/03/2015 11:11 PM, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> Anyone notice a pattern? For the avos, it wasn't enough to stay away
> from Canaan, or any other tribe for that matter. They had to marry
> davka within the family of Terach, and with "family" being defined
> patrilinially.

Except that Avraham didn't specify that Yitzchak's wife come from his
family, but only from his birthplace.   (The servant *told* Rivka's
family that Avraham sent him to them, but there is no hint of this
in Avraham's actual instructions, or in the servant's actions until
then.  It's clearly something he made up for their benefit.  See Malbim.)

> Anyone know the parentage of Bilhah and Zilpah?

Rashi says they were Lavan's daughters.

--
Zev Sero
zev at sero.name