[Avodah] submission to an authority

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Dec 4 03:53:01 PST 2015

On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 11:08:28PM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
:> But back to the point... doesn't halakhah demand heteronomy?

: (That's a new word for me. Had to look it up. Thanks!) Yes, definitely. But
: we submit to Hashem. Only to Hashem. And He has commanded us to submit to
: His representatives, but in my understanding that refers basically to the
: Sanhedrin. End of story.

Actually, submitting to Hashem's morality would be more specifically
theonomy. Which ends up looking very different than autonomy or (other)
heteronomy.

Whereas my understanding is that the whole point of semichah today is
to continue that "basically the Sanhedrin" even after semichah deOraisa
was lost.

What I am implying is that we are commanded to have an LOR and turn to
him for pesaq for the same hashkafic reasons we follow wholesale pesaqim
since the close of the Sanhedrin and of the Talmud Bavli (what we loosely
call "following the SA"). Halakhah isn't an autonomous venture.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             You are where your thoughts are.
micha at aishdas.org                - Ramban, Igeres haQodesh, Ch. 5
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507