[Avodah] Ahab

via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Dec 3 10:30:57 PST 2015

From: Zev Sero via Avodah  <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>

On 12/01/2015 01:39 PM, Ben Waxman  via Avodah wrote:
>> Yosef and Moshe certainly converted their wives,  but to what? To
>> monotheism and to membership in the Abrahamite  tribe

I see no reason to suppose there was any sort of "conversion"  involved,
since among Bnei Noach yichus goes after the father.    Membership of
the tribe would be automatic with marriage.

--
Zev  Sero
zev at sero.name

Ben Waxman did not write the paragraph you quoted in his name, I did.   He
actually wrote something similar to what you are claiming here -- that they
did /not/ convert their wives, and that there was only patrilineal descent
back  then, and it made no difference who the wives were.

The reason I wrote that there had to be some kind of conversion before
Yosef and Moshe et al could marry their non-family wives is that it is
critically important what the mother of your children believes and teaches your
children.  The Torah makes it absolutely clear that the mother is  critically
important -- Avraham's heir could not be born from Hagar,  he had to be from
Sarah.  Do you honestly believe that we are only talking  about biological
genetics here?!

--Toby Katz
t613k at aol.com
..