[Avodah] Chizkiyahu's Seal

Saul Guberman via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Dec 2 17:40:42 PST 2015

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 8:23 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> Now to figure out why someone known for stamping out AZ had on his
> seal a two-winged sun with by ankh symbols on each side. The ankh
> is a life symbol, but it is also found in pictures of Egyptian
> deities including pharoahs.

The archaeologist gives an answer in an article in TOI.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/seal-bearing-name-of-judean-king-found-in-jerusalem

    "The Egyptian motifs were spread over the second millennium BCE all
    over the region" and no longer bore their original significance,
    Mazar explained. Ancient Judeans employed the sun disk to denote
    the Almighty, and its bowed wings may connote Hezekiah's expression
    that "my power is thanks to God's protection," she said.

    "It was nothing like what it meant to the Egyptians," she said.