[Avodah] Ahab

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Dec 1 13:06:07 PST 2015

On 12/01/2015 01:39 PM, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:
>> Yosef and Moshe certainly converted their wives, but to what? To
>> monotheism and to membership in the Abrahamite tribe

I see no reason to suppose there was any sort of "conversion" involved,
since among Bnei Noach yichus goes after the father.   Membership of
the tribe would be automatic with marriage.

> Whatever Yosef and Moshe did, that wasn't good enough for Yitzhaq and
> Yaacov, who dafka had to marry family. Locals were out.  So my
> original point remains: For at least some of the Avot, it wasn't
> simply patriarchal descent.

No, it was zera kodesh, not mixing with the cursed seed of Kenaan,
and neither did Yosef or Moshe.   But this had nothing to do with
halacha.  Halachically they were all Bnei Noach.

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week