[Avodah] submission to an authority

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Dec 1 12:57:50 PST 2015

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 09:21:58AM -0800, saul newman via Avodah wrote:
: is it or is it not a tenet of  Orthodoxy  that to be defined as O  one must
: submit to some defined human authority? ...

In the realm of halakhah, I think so -- asei lekha rav. And this holds
for your rav as well. Even if you're one of the great posqim and can
only consult rabbeim-chaveirim, because there is no one else to find.
You have to be able to accept someone with more skill and/or more
objectivity WRT this particular question may have the better answer,
even if in ways that elude you.

That's a far cry from expanding da'as Torah to consluting on questions
where the unknowns are in the metzi'us. E.g. Which job is better
involves knowing the industry; even to know which job would make it
easier to grow in qedushah.

And a far cry from thinking that since da'as Torah is a special mode
of reaching an answer, all TRUE gedolim would reach the same answer.

But back to the point... doesn't halakhah demand heteronomy?

Micha Berger             I thank God for my handicaps, for, through them,
micha at aishdas.org        I have found myself, my work, and my God.
http://www.aishdas.org                - Helen Keller
Fax: (270) 514-1507