[Avodah] Rav P. M. Teitz Did Eat Turkey

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Nov 29 12:32:09 PST 2015

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 08:58:45AM -0500, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:
: Rav E. M. Teitz wrote:
:> My father z"l ate turkey.  My maternal grandmother's family, who are
:> descended from the ShL"H haKadosh, did not.

R' Dovid Lifshitz didn't eat turkey either. But I do not believe he
held it was iqar hadin, just that he personally saw no need to enter
the sugya.

The Gemara (Chullin 63b) has R Yitzchaq requiring a mesorah for birds.
R Yochana says as long as he knows the requisite species. R' Zeira
asks mesorah from where -- his rebbe in Torah or his teacher in hunting?
R' Yochanan is requoted to show it must be his hunting instructor,
as his rebbe would be less capable of recognizing the species.

Implications about daas Torah noted.

Going to the SA YD 82:2-3, the SA only talks about mesorah to avoid
requiring bediqah, and if the bird had clear simanim, it doesn't require
mesorah. Thus limiting the case R' Yitzchaq is referring to.

The Rama (#3) requires mesorah in all cases. Which follows Rashi.

So in short, the question is why Ashkenazim demand a mesorah to confirm
already condirmed simanim. Would relying on Sepharadi acceptance due to
not requiring a pre-existing tradition be sufficient?

The Arugas haBosem (qunterus hateshuvos #16) seems to be saying that we
are relying on Sepharadi testimony that it indeed is not a doreis. After
all, other Jews raised the things for centuries, they'd know.

Micha Berger             A person must be very patient
micha at aishdas.org        even with himself.
http://www.aishdas.org         - attributed to R' Nachman of Breslov
Fax: (270) 514-1507