[Avodah] Ahab

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Nov 27 00:20:25 PST 2015

On 11/26/2015 03:44 PM, Saul Guberman wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 2:20 PM, Zev Sero <zev at sero.name <mailto:zev at sero.name>> wrote:
>> On 11/26/2015 10:21 AM, Saul Guberman via Avodah wrote:

>>> So was the switch to matrilineal descent from a takana Ezra or before?

>>There was no switch.  It's de'oraisa.

> Please site a source.

Devarim 7:4, as explained in Yevamos 23a.  The pasuk warns that if your
children marry out, then your goyishe son-in-law will turn your
grandchildren to avoda zara.  But it says nothing about what your goyishe
daughter-in-law will teach her children, because that is none of your
concern; they aren't your grandchildren, and have nothing to do with you,
so there's no reason for you to care what she teaches them.

> All of the Avos (assuming they kept all the mitzvos) plus Moshe
> married non jews.

All of the Avos plus Moshe *were* non-Jews.  There weren't any Jews
for them to marry.

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week