[Avodah] truth

via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Nov 25 12:49:48 PST 2015

From: Toby Katz <_t613k at aol.com_ (mailto:t613k at aol.com) >

In a message dated 11/25/2015, micha at aishdas.org writes:

Rivqa  was told "ushenei le'umim meimei'ayikh yipareidu",
but apparently no one  told Yitzchaq.

Yes, I already mentioned that.  In the list of things that Yitzchak  was in
the dark about, I mentioned that Rivka never told him the prophecy about
the twins she was carrying.  Yitchak was both literally and figuratively
blind, certainly blind to the reality of who his son Esav really was.

Yes, Rashi says he told Esav to be sure and bring him hunted animals that
were hefker, not stolen property, but Rashi also says that Esav fooled his
father by asking him frummy questions about tithing salt and straw.
Presumably he feared that Esav might not be clear about the halachos of what
exactly constitutes stealing -- just as Lot's shepherds reasoned that they
could graze their sheep wherever they wanted to, even on private property,
because all of Eretz Yisrael had been promised to Avraham.

--Toby Katz
t613k at aol.com
..