[Avodah] Ahab

Lisa Liel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Nov 25 10:03:14 PST 2015

On 11/25/2015 6:35 PM, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
> Ahab's children were not Jewish since their mother Jezebel was not Jewish
> and hence certainly not fit to be kings    Nevertheless Tanach indicates
> they were wicked but not that they were illegitimate kings

Just because she was a wicked idolater doesn't mean she didn't convert
before marrying Ahav.  In point of fact, we don't have any indication
that Ahav was a bad guy before Izevel married him and influenced him.

I'd actually turn the argument around, and say that from the fact that
neither Tanach nor Chazal suggest that Ahav's children weren't Jewish,
it's clear that Izevel *did* convert.

Lisa