[Avodah] basic parsha question from Toldos -- Ulai

via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Nov 22 20:05:44 PST 2015

Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 19:40:17 -0500
From: Sholom Simon via  Avodah <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>

Much ado is made of the world  "Ulai" that the servant {Eliezer] used
(at 24:5) when he said "perhaps the  woman" will not want to come back
-- as though he wished that possibility  would happen.  As opposed to
if he had used the word "pen".

But  in Toldos (29:12) [ed note: that should be 27:12] Yaakov says the same
thing:  "Ulai" my father
will discover me.  I looked at a Mikraos Gedolos and  didn't really
see anything on that word (not that I'm very fluent).   Surely
somebody must talk about the similarity in language, no?

(My  own thought is that perhaps Yaakov (Mr. Emes) was so
uncomfortable that he  had subconscious thoughts that we wanted to get
caught).

Thoughts  anyone?

-- Sholom

The answer to your question is in Rashi on Toldos 24:39 where Eliezer is
telling Besuel and Lavan the whole story and quotes himself as having said,
"Ulai lo selech ha'isha acharai."  The word "ulai" here is written without
the vov and can therefore be read "eilai" -- "to me."  Maybe if the woman
doesn't want to come with me (he said to Avraham) or you guys don't want to
send  her with me (he said unconsciously, hopefully, to Besuel and Lavan),
then  Avraham will be forced to turn to me -- eilai -- and take my daughter
for his  son.

In contrast, when Yakov says "ulai yemusheini avi" -- "Perhaps my father
will feel me" -- the word ulai is spelled the normal way, with the  vov. And
therefore there is no drasha to be made on the word.

PS After writing the above, I saw that RGD quoted someone who did make a
drasha on that word.  It was similar to RSS's speculation that Yakov had an
unconscious desire to get caught.  It sounds far-fetched to me but if  true,
is yet another answer to RET's question (dated Nov 13 with the subject
line "truth") about Yakov's being called "the epitome of truth -- titen emes
le'Yakov" -- and yet seemingly having trouble in precisely that area.  IOW
he really, really, really did not want to deceive his father even for a short
 time!  His mother forced his hand in service of the greater truth -- viz,
that he rightfully deserved the bracha, as Yitzchak came to acknowledge.

--Toby  Katz
t613k at aol.com
..