[Avodah] basic parsha question from Toldos -- Ulai

Gershon via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat Nov 21 18:19:53 PST 2015

On Nov 21, 2015, at 7:40 PM, Sholom Simon wrote:
> Much ado is made of the world "Ulai" that the servant {Eliezer] used
> (at 24:5) when he said "perhaps the woman" will not want to come back --
> as though he wished that possibility would happen. As opposed to if he
> had used the word "pen".

> But in Toldos (29:12) Yaakov says the same thing: "Ulai" my father
> will discover me...

> (My own thought is that perhaps Yaakov (Mr. Emes) was so uncomfortable
> that he had subconscious thoughts that we wanted to get caught).

I don't remember where but I saw this precise explanation.

[I heard it in a Shabbos morning derashah or two. Given both of our
memories, I Googled: It's in haKesav vehaQabbalah. Written by R' Yaakov
Zvi Mecklenberg, Germany 1834. Another site cited the Maharatz Chajes,
but since they didn't give a location, I couldn't confirm.
-micha]