[Avodah] truth

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Nov 13 08:55:44 PST 2015

On 11/13/2015 05:25 AM, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
> Yaakov is the epitomy of truth (titen emet le-yaakov)
> Nevertheless from the parsha it would seem that is far from yaakov's strength
>
> convincing Esav to sell the birthright when he is starving and not just try and make a deal under normal circumstances

How is that less than complete truth?

> Deceiving his father that he is Esav (Rashi splitting Yaakov's words seems to make matters worse then better)

This was indeed contrary to his nature, which is why it was such a
challenge, just as Avraham was challenged with going contrary to his
nature of chessed.  The brachos had to be obtained indirectly, just as
David Hamelech had to be born in dubious circumstances, in order to
forestall the opposition that would try to prevent it.

> Yaakov's dealing with Lavan and working to increase his share
> Running away from Lavan without telling him

Again, where is the lack of truth in either case?  Yaacov dealt
with more than complete honesty with Lavan.  It was Lavan who kept
changing their deal every time he saw that Yaacov was doing OK with
the last one.  Why would you expect anyone *not* to do whatever he
can to profit by whatever deal he has?  And why should Yaacov have
told Lavan that he was escaping?   That would have been very stupid
of him.

> Note that any one instance can be always explained however there
> appears a pattern.

Where's the pattern?  The only incident of deceit was with the brachos,
and even there, as Rashi explains, he stuck as close to the truth as
he could, and let Yitzchak's expectations shape what he thought he heard.

> One answer I saw was that Yaakov improved over time.
>
> However, I find trouble with that also when Yaakov finally meets Esav
> he indicates that he will come to Edom which Rashi explains as
> meaning in the days of the Moshiach. Doesnt seem to be the plain
> meaning of the words. Again we have a case later where need to
> explain away Yaakov's words

Where's the falsehood?   He said he would get there eventually, and so
he will, eventually.  Was he supposed to volunteer that he was not about
to walk his family into a crocodile's mouth?!

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week