[Avodah] Women and communal leadership

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Nov 9 09:40:31 PST 2015

In addition to that link to RNH's JP article, R/Dr Noam Stadlan pointed
me over the last 48 hours to

R/Prof Sperber "On Women in Rabbinic Leadership Positions" (for the pro)
http://www.yctorah.org/component/option,com_docman/task,doc_view/gid,1393

RHS "Women Rabbis?"
http://www.hakirah.org/Vol%2011%20Schachter.pdf

I had complained that a change in how halakhah is lived should be argued
in the pages of shu"t, not by proclamation or petition. Rabbis using
the tools of rhetoric and declaration will just convince the other
that you're more concerned with politics and policy than actual Torah
substance. (Even if that substance might be the halachic boundaries of
politics and policy, that has to be clear.) R/Dr NS did me the favor of
digging up counterxamples.

There is also http://www.hakirah.org/Vol%2011%20Broyde.pdf (While one
of the authors was since caught inventing sources and other intellectual
dishonesty on other papers, I presume R' Shlomo Brody did something to
confirm the paper's contents, including the other's contribution before
letting his name appear on it.)

Still, I think that the characterization of the dialog is sadly still up
(down?) to my original description. We're having a pulmus, not a viquach.
>From from the first time in our history; but it always carries a huge cost.

Micha Berger             If you're going through hell
micha at aishdas.org        keep going.
http://www.aishdas.org                   - Winston Churchill
Fax: (270) 514-1507