[Avodah] What was the point of Avrahams tefilla/debate with Hashem about Sdom?

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Nov 9 05:30:27 PST 2015

>> Furthermore was the point of Moshe Rabbenu's prayers after the "chet
>> ha-egel" and "chet hameraglim" for Moshe to get closer to G-d ?

> I raised this question as well. If tefilla is not to get closer to God
> then what is it for?

The obvious answer without philosophy is that prayer is to get something
done. After Moshe prayed G-d "changed" his mind and did not wipe out the
Jewish people.

Most prayers in Tanach seem to be for a purpose, eg the prayer of Chizyaku
to live longer which G-d answered.
I get the impression that these questions didnt disturb Chazal and they
appeared only in th gaonim/rishonim who were affected by philosophy

Eli

--
Eli Turkel