[Avodah] What was the point of Avrahams tefilla/debate with Hashem about Sdom?

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Nov 3 06:50:06 PST 2015

On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 09:41:57AM -0500, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
: I don't have a comprehensive model; as the Rivash said, "ani mitpalel
: leda`at zeh hatinok", I pray without models, just as I speak without
: formal rules of grammar.  Models are descriptive, not prescriptive, and
: therefore, while useful, they are not necessary...

I would say even further... Tefillah is inherently experiential.
Overanalysis may get you to know a lot /about/ tefillah, but it
creates a remove between the person and the experience itelf.

I think Rav Nachman's comments about theology are based on this point.

It's also why I prefer the dialog version of Mesilas Yesharim, even though
the Ramchal apparently rejected it in favor of the chapter version.
The dialog is between two old friends -- the protagonist, called the
chasid, who presents the ideas of MY and an old friend he encounters,
the chakham, who knows a lot of Torah, but at the beginning of the book
doesn't "get" the whole middos thing.

Personally, I need a reminder to stay on the topic of learning zehirus,
rather than learning what zehirus is. The structure of the original
format helps me that way.