[Avodah] Announcing Geshem

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Oct 27 15:01:46 PDT 2015

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 09:07:35PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: Regarding the start of Mashiv Haruach Umorid Hagashem/hageshem on Shmini
: Atzeres, we find: "It is assur to mention Geshem until the Shliach Tzibur
: announces it." - Mechaber 114:2.
: Why on earth is this announcement so very important?
:
: And why is there no announcement at all for Tal Umatar?

Well, it does make sense to me that baqashos have a level of
personalization that we do not find in shevach. I can insert whatever
baqashos I want to add for birkhas hashanim, so things are more fluid
there.

My question is more your first one -- why must shevach be communal? Not
making up your own adjectives for G-d, I understand; but even if I were
to switch without everyone in the qehillah doing so yet (because of the
lack of announcement), I wouldn't be doing that...

Micha Berger             Like a bird, man can reach undreamed-of
micha at aishdas.org        heights as long as he works his wings.
http://www.aishdas.org   But if he relaxes them for but one minute,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      he plummets downward.   - Rav Yisrael Salanter