[Avodah] Mitzvah Kiyumit

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Oct 26 18:50:33 PDT 2015

On 10/26/2015 08:33 PM, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> I'd like to put marriage (for men) in the "change of situation"
> category. A single man has a chiyuv to get married. When his status
> changes to that of a married man, he no longer has the chiyuv, and
> although he is allowed to marry another, it is not a chiyuv, and I
> suspect it is not even a mitzvah kiyumis. One might argue that it is
> in the "mitzvos matirim" category, but I'm not sure. He's not allowed
> to have relations with that second woman unless he performs kiddushin
> and nisuin, but in this situation, are they actual mitzvos or mere
> procedures? In other words: If a man is already married, is it a
> mitzvah to marry another?

He says (or rather has someone say for him) a bracha, asher kideshanu
bemitzvosav.  If that's really a birchas hamitzvah rather than birchas
hoda'ah, then you have your answer.

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week