[Avodah] Tefillin once per lifetime?

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Oct 26 07:36:03 PDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 06:27:49AM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: R' Brian Wiener and I asked for more details, and RMB responded:

Actually, I responded specifically to Brian, who didn't just ask for
clarification. He asked:
> [Me:]
>> How long must a man wear tefillin? Well, in the ideal it should be
>> whenever he is awake and not doing manual labor. In RASHI'S DAY, FEW
>> WORE TEFILLIN AT ALL. Today men wear it for davening, but only in order
>> to say Shema without looking like liars...

> Please elaborate on the highlighted portion.

So I took a detour to explain about how in Rashi's day a few tefillin
at all.

Which explains why:
: I have not seen R' Saadia or the Semag, but I did take a quick look at
: Tosfos and the BY/KB. Neither one says anything even remotely similar to
: Tefillin being a chiyuv only once...

More than that, R Saadia (on parashas Bo) questions wearing tefillin
as yuharah. Which does get us back to the original question, although
I hadn't originally intended to. However, who would ever call it yuhara
to fulfill an obligation everyone else was neglecting?

Micha Berger             What you get by achieving your goals
micha at aishdas.org        is not as important as
http://www.aishdas.org   what you become by achieving your goals.
Fax: (270) 514-1507              - Henry David Thoreau