[Avodah] Shehecheyanu on Matza

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Oct 20 10:41:09 PDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 05:43:19PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
: Sure you would.  A sukkah is a major possession...

Today's reusable prefab, yes. I don't think that's the historical norm.

(Certainly not the AhS's typical sukkah, which was opening part of your
roof. See tail of OC 626:1 and se'if 25 where he cautions "besukos
habenyos shelanu" one must make sure the roof is open before laying
sekhakh.)

:> In any case, OC 641:1 says that someone who makes a sukkah doesn't
:> make the berakhah then because we are someikh on the one made at
:> Qiddush. But he says it's "al asiyasah". Not having it, but the act
:> of making it.

: I.e. acquiring it.  If you paid someone else to make it, or just bought
: it ready-made, would the shehecheyanu be any less?!

Where's the indication it's qua acquisition and hana'ah in having a
new keli, rather than qua heksher mitzvah? Again, mitzvos lav lehanos
nitenu -- the primary point of a sukkah isn't for the joy of using it.
(Although a sukkah must be lehseim tzeil, not limited to lesheim mitzvah.)

: >And yet, the Rama holds that if the person who didn't sit in the
: >sukkah the first night also happened to make a shehachiyanu be'sheas
: >asiyah, then he wouldn't make a shehechiyanu at qiddush.

: No, he doesn't say that at all...

Correct, I meant: ... then he wouldn't make a shehechiyanu ON IT at
qiddush.

Micha Berger             "As long as the candle is still burning,
micha at aishdas.org        it is still possible to accomplish and to
http://www.aishdas.org   mend."
Fax: (270) 514-1507          - Anonymous shoemaker to R' Yisrael Salanter