[Avodah] Shehecheyanu on Matza

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Oct 20 10:15:11 PDT 2015

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 04:50:24PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: As I wrote in my previous post, this is the sequence prescribed by the
: Maamar Mordechai (and cited l'halacha by Beur Halacha 483 "Ad Shegomer" and
: Kaf HaHayyim 483:8), who reasons that "birkas zman bichlal kiddush hu" -
: Shehecheyanu is part of Kiddush. It seems clear to me that according to
: Maamar Mordechai, Beur Halacha, and Kaf HaHayyim, matza is *not* relevant
: to Shehecheyanu. Furthermore, this sequence of brachos is exactly parallel
: to the way most say Kiddush on the second night of Sukkos (placing Layshev
: BaSukkah *after* the Shehecheyanu), and is specifically designed to include
: the holiday in the Shehecheyanu, and to *omit* the sukkah itself from the
: Shehecheyanu.

Doesn't this flow from the discussion I posted?

Shehechiyanu is made in qiddush because it is primarily tied to the
chag. By making a shehechiyanu on the chag, all the mitzvos of the
holiday are covered, but the chehechiyanu is most directly about the
YT. So, we are advised to keep the mitzvos of the night in mind, but
if not, they are covered indirectly anyway and do not get their own
berakhah.

Unlike Purim, which has no chag, and therefore there is no inclusive
umbrella.

: This is in sharp contrast to the *first* night of Sukkos, where we say
: Hagafen, Kiddush, Layshev, and finally Shehecheyanu at the very end,
: specifically to insure that the Shehecheyanu is not merely on the holiday,
: but on the sukkah too.

Which I was arguing is on building the sukkah, hekhsher mitzvah.
Because according to the Avudraham (as per R Zevin's diyuq) a berakhah
on sukkos would perforce to include sukkah and 4 minim. If there weren't
part of mitzvas sukkah that weren't part of the Chag haSukkos, which
would be left berakhah-less.

Let me now add my own, unsourced, 2c:

To my mind, this is where the assymetry resides. The pasuq says
"ushemartem es hamatzos", using the shoresh of "shemirah" would mean it's
a lav. So baking matzos doesn't get a birkhas hamitzvah or a shehechiyanu,
and I don't know of anyone who has a parallel discussion to that we had
abour making a berkhah on building a sukkah.

Whereas building a sukkah does require at least inclusion in the "leisheiv
basukkah" of the first time you sit there and a shehechiyanu. The first
night of sukkos (barring rain) -- which covers the building regardless
of any commemorated sefeiqa deyoma.

Therefore, matzah on both nights of the seder parallel only the 2nd
night of Sukkos (if you were able to sit in the sukkah the first night),
the night on which building a sukkah does not require a berakhah, but
we commemorate the possibility (sefeiqa deyoma) that sitting in the
sukkah would.

: Halachipedia (http://halachipedia.com/index.php?title=Bedikat%20Chametz)
: offers three different answers at footnote 101:
:> Bear Hetiev says it's included in Shehecheyanu of Yom
:> Tov, Pri Megadim M"Z 431:2 says it's not a mitzvah of
:> Simcha, Meiri says there's no Shehecheyanu on Bedika
:> which is just done to prevent you from a prohibition.

Bi'ur chameitz is a lav hanitoq la'asei, not merely the action required
to avoid a lav. We wouldn't be making an "al bi'ur chameitz if it were
"just done to prevent you from a prohibition." So I'd love to know where
to see this Me'iri inside, because so far, lo zakhisi lehavin.

In any case, I would see buying a gun for the sake of keeping Jews safe
closer to building a sukkah, as it's a straight asei, then bediqah or
baking matzos.

Micha Berger             It isn't what you have, or who you are, or where
micha at aishdas.org        you are,  or what you are doing,  that makes you
http://www.aishdas.org   happy or unhappy. It's what you think about.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Dale Carnegie