[Avodah] Shehecheyanu on Matza

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Oct 19 11:42:43 PDT 2015

On 10/19/2015 02:27 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> Actually, the SA (OC 641:1) says what I deduced from R' Zevin's
> defense of the Avudraham -- that the berakhah is on making the
> Sukkah, not on having the sukkah qua the object.

I wrote: "The shehechayanu on the first night is also on the *sukkah*,
not on the mitzvah of sitting in it."    How is what you wrote not
100% consistent with that?

Of *course* it's not on *possessing* a sukkah; how could one possibly
say shecheyanu on possessing anything?  Shehecheyanu is by definition
on new things; one says it on *acquiring* possessions, not on having
them.  And this shehecheyanu is, in addition to the chag, on the new
sukkah that one has built (or otherwise acquired).   Technically, I
suppose, one who builds a permanent sukkah would, in subsequent years,
say shehecheyanu before leisheiv basukkah even on the first day; but
that is a very unusual case.

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week