[Avodah] Simchas Torah is Really a Holiday for Bavel and not EY

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Oct 15 00:29:37 PDT 2015

At 07:24 PM 10/14/2015, Simon Montagu wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 7:54 PM, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:
>And indeed this has been my question all
>along.  Why did the Jews when they returned to
>EY adopt the "Golus" practice of reading the
>Torah yearly as was done in Bavel? Why didn't
>they go back to the original practice of EY?

>I think as a general rule the Jews expelled from
>Spain retained their own minhag in the lands
>where they were dispersed...

To my way of thinking there is a difference. The practices that the Jews
from Spain found in the countries they fled to were "relatively new. "

The practices in EY presumably went back to at least the time of
the second Bais Hamikdash and, to my way of thinking, have greater
"validity." Furthermore, EY has special kedusha, and I would think
that the practices of the Jews in EY also had special kedusha and hence
should have been reinstated.

YL