[Avodah] Milchemes Mitzvah vs Onshei Beis Din

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Oct 15 08:26:24 PDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 01:37:17PM +0300, Lisa Liel wrote:
: WADR to RDS, I think his view is trumped by that of RSBY...
:                                         HaTov she'bagoyim (b'she'at
: milchamah) harog.  Period.

I mentioned RDS's statement before my question because it appear to
me that it's based on the assumption that we are NOT dealing with
milchamah. An assessment I also quesion.

Which is when I realized I do not know the difference between fighting
a group of copy-cat killing and a milkhemes mitzvah (or according to R
Yehudah, a defensive war is a third category -- milkhemes chovah). Which
is why I asked the chevrah if they knew of a formal definition of where
that line would be.

Rav Aviner addresses that quote (from Mes Soferim) in the context of
mechabelim y"sh at
<http://www.kimizion.org/maamar/tez64a.doc>
RSA explains it as, "even though he is assessed among the goyim as being
good and contructive, kill him." Such as Titus. The Y-mi says it's
beshe'as milchamah, as you do. Rabbeinu Bachya says this is only of
"haba lehargekha, hashqeim vehorgo". See the teshuvah..

See also <http://toravoda.org.il/node/3398> by a "Yochanan ben Yaaqov".

Also, there are girsa'os that have beKanaanim or beAKU"M, rather than
begoyim.

Micha Berger             "I hear, then I forget; I see, then I remember;
micha at aishdas.org        I do, then I understand." - Confucius
http://www.aishdas.org   "Hearing doesn't compare to seeing." - Mechilta
Fax: (270) 514-1507      "We will do and we will listen." - Israelites