[Avodah] Simchas Torah is Really a Holiday for Bavel and not EY

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Oct 14 15:32:43 PDT 2015

At 05:06 PM 10/14/2015, Micha Berger wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 12:54:36PM -0400, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:
>: And indeed this has been my question all along.  Why did the Jews
>: when they returned to EY adopt the "Golus" practice of reading the
>: Torah yearly as was done in Bavel?  Why didn't they go back to the
>: original practice of EY?
>
>This is the line of reasoning of R' David Bar-Haim at Machon Shilo
><http://machonshilo.org>. He took it to the logical conclusion, and
>reconstructed Nusach EY from the Cairo Geniza and hints in the Yerushalmi.
>All contemporary nusachos, being derived from that of Rav Amram Gaon,
>are deemed overly golah and inappropriate for EY.
>
>If you advocate roling back centuries of practice WRT leining, why
>not a millenium of nusach hetefilah? For that matter, in EY, why don't
>they give priority to the pesaqim of the Yerushalmi and only use the
>Bavli's pesaqim when the Y-mi has no clear masqanah?

There apparently was an established Nusach Ha Tefillah in EY as well
as for other things.  It seems to me that this is what they should
have gone back to and not further.

>You're asking why they didn't open a can of worms, in which the kelalei
>pesaq would be vastly different than the actual norms (outside of
>Machon Shilo).

I do not see this as opening a can of worms,  but rather  returning
to the mesorah of EY.  I must admit that I do not understand what you
mean by "the kelalei pesaq (pesak,  I presume.).

Why weren't they concerned about the mesorah of EY.  Is it possible
that they did not know what it was?  It was certainly easier to
transplant European Chassidic and GRA minhagim than to go back to
what was done before the Jews left EY.

YL