[Avodah] Simchas Torah is Really a Holiday for Bavel and not EY

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Oct 14 12:55:36 PDT 2015

On 10/14/2015 12:54 PM, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:

> And indeed this has been my question all along. Why did the Jews when
> they returned to EY adopt the "Golus" practice of reading the Torah
> yearly as was done in Bavel? Why didn't they go back to the original
> practice of EY?

Asked and answered.  Why on earth should they have?  Should the Jews
who settled in Recife in the 20th century have become S-P, just because
the 17th-century kehillah there was?!   Of course not.  So how is this
any different?  Why should the Jews who resettled EY have adopted the
customs of the Jews who had previously lived there, *even if they
somehow knew what those were*?   You have seen this several times and
have not replied, but instead keep repeating your original question
which has no basis.

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week