[Avodah] Cancel Simchas Torah!

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Oct 12 07:55:35 PDT 2015

At 08:53 AM 10/12/2015, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
>On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 04:49:19AM -0400, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:
>: IMO ST has no place in EY.  The Torah in EY was originally read
>: according to a 3 or 3.5 year cycle...

>I thought it was a 3 yr cycle from Shavuos to the third Shavu'os after.

According to one of the seforim that I have in some places it was 3
years and in others it was 3.5.  And,  not everyone read the same
portion of the Torah on a given Shabbos!

IIRC there is no mention of Shavuous as the starting or ending point.

>The 3 yr cycle is one of the examples cited to show the EY origins of
>Ashkenaz, actually. So you could make a stronger argument that Ashkenazim
>have less reason to observe Simchas Torah than does EY's more mixed
>populace.

Cited by whom and where?  My understanding is that in Bavel they
leined the entire Torah yearly as we do now and it EY it was the 3 or
3.5 cycle.  It has nothing to do with Ashkenazim as far as I know.

[Email #2]

At 08:53 AM 10/12/2015, Ben Waxman wrote:
>I believe that you brought this issue up before.

Probably.  It is something that has bothered me for some time.

>Why stop with Simchat Torah? Why not claim that we should revert to
>minhag Eretz Yisrael from the 12th century across the board?

Indeed,  why wasn't this done in EY?  Why bring "Golus" practices to
EY by not going back to the way things were done in EY originally?

YL