[Avodah] Cancel Simchas Torah!

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Oct 9 01:49:19 PDT 2015

At 05:29 PM 10/8/2015, Saul Guberman wrote:

>A few weeks ago, Naama Henkin HY”D expressed
>to another friend that she would like to have a
>shiur (Torah class) while the men were dancing
>the traditional hakafot with the Torah,
>instead of just watching the men dance (although
>we do have women’s dancing as well – including
>a few women, our youth, aand always our rabbanit
>of Neriya). That friend spread the word and we
>held a shiur in her memory and in her merit during the hakafot.

I am going to take this opportunity to raise a
point that has bothered me for years.

IMO ST has no place in EY.  The Torah in EY was
originally read according to a 3 or 3.5 year
cycle.  Indeed,  still in the 12th century there
were two shuls in Egypt,  one that leined the way
we do now and another that followed the 3 year
cycle.  Clearly, for those who followed the 3
year cycle there was no ST celebration every
year. Hence there was no ST celebration in EY originally.

I fail to understand why when the Jews returned
to EY they adopted the yearly cycle of completing
the reading of the Torah rather than going back
to the original 3 or 3 and half year cycle.

Add to the this fact that one is not supposed to
dance on Shabbos and Yom Tov.  (I know that today
there are many who are maikel,  but still this is
the halacha.)  Outside of EY ST is
d'rabbonim,  so dancing is perhaps
permitted,  but it seems to me it is certainly
not permitted in EY on SA which is also when hakafos are done in EY.

YL