[Avodah] hallel sung

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Dec 16 01:21:57 PST 2015

<<http://www.flipsnack.com/79987ECF8D6/522.html See page 5. Rav Meir Cohen
attacks musical Hallel (and much of singing in shul), calling it a
complete distortion of what the Levi'im did (the rav calls the Levis'
song Avodah, not a method to raise spirits), a poor substitute for true
spirituality which only makes things worse.>>

Obviously Rav Meir Cohen is not a hasid. I douibt if people today sing in
imitation
of leviim. Music has always been part of spirituality. Prophets would
listen to music to reach the proper level, similarly for meditation.

On a personal level I have on rare occasions davened in a shul for Yomim
Noraim where they didnt sing any piyutim. I felt that my davening missed a
lot, that is part of my yomim noraim experience.

--
Eli Turkel