[Avodah] Misunderstanding Mesorah: Turkeys and Women Rabbis

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Dec 14 05:22:15 PST 2015

See http://www.torahmusings.com/2015/12/41114/

  R. Dr Ari Zivotofsky

What does turkey have to do with women rabbis? It is a question that
would have never occurred to me until last week when my almost 20
year old, popular <http://www.kashrut.com/articles/turkey/>article
about the kashrut of turkey was invoked in the name of women rabbis.
I was honored to be cited, but bemused at the application. It seems
that women rabbis is THE topic. Are women rabbis good for the Jews or
bad? Are women rabbis a fait accompli or will their opponents yet
prevail? The discussion goes round and round and is discussed in
every possible context. So, come Thanksgiving, there was
<http://attemptsatjewishthought.com/home/if-you-eat-kosher-turkey-you-probably-support-female-orthodox-clergy>an
article by <https://bethsholom.org/content/our-rabbi>Ben Greenfield,
a rabbinic student at Yeshivat Chovevei Torah, attempting to connect
women and turkeys. I do not consider myself an expert on the topic of
ordination and do not intend to address the broader issue of women
rabbis, but I do know something about bird mesorah and feel obligated
to point out that what was written in this widely circulated article
does not actually contribute to a better understanding of whether
women should be ordained or whether turkey is kosher.

See the above URL for more. YL