[Avodah] Halacha as a System and Deriving halachah for new situations (two subjects for the price of one!)

David Riceman via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Dec 10 12:22:08 PST 2015

RJR:

<<Do you view Halacha as a system that seeks a single ultimate original
truth(or a truth determined prior to a particular point in Jewish
history) or one focused on a chronologically monotonic historical
process (i.e. do we care what the Rambam originally thought or only how
the baalei mesorah understood him through time)? If the latter, is this
because this is what HKB"H commanded or because the rabbis determined
this to be how an effective legal system must work?>>

RZL:

<<It's true that the amora (for example) did not necessarily have the
case in mind, especially if it involved a new invention he probably did
not anticipate. But nevertheless he did have in mind an essential
property (my Rebbi referred to this as the "gedder") that determined his
p'sak in the case he dealt with, which would also determine the p'sak in
the case he was not aware of.>>

I think both of these are too simplistic.  One of the complications of
halacha is that one event in real life might be classified under many
halachic rubrics.  For example, Hazal say that each judge in a court
judging a capital crime must cite a different source for his opinion.
Conversely (and I think I've mentioned this problem here before) just
because a preponderance of rabbis have ruled a particular example mutar
or assur doesn't imply that they all used the same rubric.  The SA, as a
synthetic book, often faces this problem, but one can find examples of
it even among tannaim (b'X savar Rebbi k'A, ub'Y savar k'B when X and Y
argue based on one rubric implies that Rebbi used two distinct rubrics).

David Riceman