[Avodah] Kosher Turkey and Women Rabbis and Mesorah

Ben Waxman via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Nov 27 01:23:06 PST 2015

http://attemptsatjewishthought.com/home/if-you-eat-kosher-turkey-you-probably-support-female-orthodox-clergy

But there’s a more telling, and Halakhically rich, irony at play, that
isn’t about Jews setting themselves around a Thanksgiving table, but
what they choose to set on it: a turkey. Because in the “its new and
that’s a problem” theory of Jewish values, turkeys aren’t kosher.

Yet by R. Kluger’s time, and certainly in our own, the majority of
Orthodox Jews eat turkey.  How? Because Rabbinic leadership is entirely
capable of resolving a seeming gap between tradition and innovation.
Numerous Teshuvos were issued that acknowledged the newness of the
turkey, nodded at the Rema’s need for a Mesorah, and found a way to
resolve the two.

The strategies taken in these Teshuvos are relevant to today’s RCA
controversy over Mesorah.  Not because they offer one-sided support for
ordaining female clergy (they do not) but because these Teshuvos remind
us that reference to Mesorah ought inspire a conversation, not a
proclamation. Let us turn to the Teshuvos.

I personally like the approach of the Netziv (given in the article): Go
slow, don't jump at every innovation. But at a certain point, if there
is no clear halachic prohibition, one has to deal with a reality created
by Am Yisrael's actual practice.

Ben

PS: I am not attempting to claim that there's no actual prohibition
involved here. That question is above my pay grade.