[Avodah] Halachos of Turkey

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Nov 26 11:49:57 PST 2015

See http://tinyurl.com/nlpxjxd

Thanksgiving an d Eating Turkey
Much has been discussed over the years regarding Thanksgiving dinner. We will
discuss whether such a party is allowed, and if turkey may be served. The
underlying point of the debate is whether Thanksgiving is considered
a religious
or secular holiday. In order to determine this, we need to know the
history of the
Thanksgiving holiday (see footnote). In addition, we will discuss the
kashrus of
birds in general and turkey specifically.

<Snip>

There are some who felt that Thanksgiving dinner should be avoided. However,
the custom of many people in Klal Yisroel  is to eat turkey on
Thanksgiving.  As mentioned above, one should not
have a party.

<Snip>

Attending a Thanksgiving Parade

The question of observing or attending a Thanksgiving Day parade is an
interesting one. It depends on the following definition: If
Thanksgiving is a non-
Jewish holiday, it would be prohibited to participate or benefit in
any way from
the parade honoring the day. If one concludes that Thanksgiving is a secular
holiday, there would seem to be no problem in attending a parade, as a
Thanksgiving Day parade is no different from an Independence Day parade.
Although it may be permitted to go to a Thanksgiving parade it is not with the
spirit of a Jew to attend such parades. One who has young children who insist
on going to the parade do not have to refuse.

Kashrus of Turkey
As mentioned above, many people have the custom to eat turkey on
Thanksgiving. However, the kashrus of turkey is a complicated issue.

See the article at the above URL for a detailed discussion of this issue.

YL