[Avodah] Lechem Mishne on Yom Kippur

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Nov 5 13:09:17 PST 2015

On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 12:44:05AM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: In the case where an ill person is eating on Yom Kippur, the Magen Avraham
: 618:10 brings varying views on whether he needs Lechem Mishne, whether he
: includes Yaaleh V'yavo in bentching, and whether he must make Kiddush...

: I'm focusing now specifically on Lechem Mishne, and I'm now ignoring
: Kiddush and Birkas Hamazon. Here are my questions of historical fact:
: During the years in the midbar, did the mon fall on Yom Kippur? Did a
: double portion of mon fall on Erev Yom Kippur? If not, then what did the
: children eat?

I found the Mekhilta. R' Eliezer haModa'i says that we learned that
mon did not fall on Shabbos. But how o we know it didn't fall on YT,
that it didn't fall on YK? ".... [uvayom hashevi'i] Shabbos lo yihyeh
bo..." (Shemos 16:26, darshened as a ribui)

The Maharam miRutenburg (shu"t hachadshos #170) says that based on this,
the people of Lotir had a minhag to use mishneh lekhem for the se'urah
on erev YK.

(The kingdom of Lotharingia was named after Eperor Lothair I or II. That
name evolved into the name of the French region of Lorrain. So I think
that's where he is talking about.)

Micha Berger             "And you shall love H' your G-d with your whole
micha at aishdas.org        heart, your entire soul, and all you own."
http://www.aishdas.org   Love is not two who look at each other,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      It is two who look in the same direction.