[Avodah] A Very Urban Sukkos – A Very Special Sukkos

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Oct 2 12:23:11 PDT 2015

 From http://tinyurl.com/pzebwt8

Sukkos – for many, it’s summer’s last hurrah.
Being outdoors, hopefully in green, lush and warm
(or not too cold) surroundings. A pleasant return
to nature before autumn really kicks in. A great
time to spend away from home, perhaps in a rural
environment. (Imagine spending Sukkos at a
sleepaway camp or a bungalow colony
) Sukkos is
the singular Yom Tov when getting out of the city
is truly appealing and really seems like a must.

But alas, I have been privileged to spend Sukkos
for the past several years in a heavy-duty urban
environment – and I would not trade this unique
experience for most anything in the world.

For us urbanites, Sukkos means schlepping our
food and everything else to a downstairs building
courtyard sukkah or a shul sukkah; it means a
lack of privacy during meals; it means outside
city noise as we eat, learn and even sleep in the sukkah. Who needs it?

On the contrary, the urban Sukkos experience has
taught me so much about Sukkos and Yom Tov in
general, and it can incredibly enrich our
appreciation for the Moed (holiday period) and its important values.

See the above URL for more. YL