[Avodah] How does Prozbul work?

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Sep 16 20:25:02 PDT 2015

On 09/16/2015 10:19 PM, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:

> In sharp contrast, I understand that Eruvin was a real "exception to
> an enactment": Simultaneously to the new law which prohibited
> carrying in a karmelis, an exception was included exempting certain
> areas under certain condiitons, allowing the carrying there.

An eruv does not permit carrying in a karmelis, and thus is not an
exception to the prohibition on doing so.  I don't know who prohibited
carrying in a karmelis, but there's no reason to suppose it was Shlomo.
Shlomo prohibited carrying in a *reshus hayachid with multiple owners*,
and instituted eruv as a way around that prohibition.  (It's not an
exception, it's a loophole; if you have an eruv then for this purpose
there are no longer multiple owners, so the prohibition doesn't apply.)

--
Zev Sero               I have a right to stand on my own defence, if you
zev at sero.name          intend to commit felony...if a robber meets me in