[Avodah] A Gutte Yahr - A Good Year?

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Sep 13 05:57:35 PDT 2015

On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 05:22:08AM -0400, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:
:> On some level yes, everything that God does is for the good.  But
:> if you get hit by a car (chas v'shalom), I guarantee you that you
:> won't experience that as a good thing.

: Of course it depends on the severity of your injuries...

We're getting off point. I believe Lisa's reponse was similar to my
repeating the distinction between "shanah tovah" and "umsuqah", without
leading to the problem of the "wrong" word being used in "Leshanah
tovah tekhaseivu".

We could ask the same about Yeshaiah's "oseh shalom uvorei es hara" --
what ra? I thought there is no ra?

It would seem we often speak of tov vara in terms of how they're
experienced, rather than some abstract reality in which we know (or
should know) "gam zu letovah".

Even if "ra" ends up meaning "a vacuum in which the tov cannot be
experienced". (Vacuums aren't created as much as left empty, and even
that I am calling experiential rather than objectively real.)

Micha Berger             The meaning of life is to find your gift.
micha at aishdas.org        The purpose of life
http://www.aishdas.org   is to give it away.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Pablo Picasso