[Avodah] A Gutte Yahr - A Good Year?

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Sep 11 11:06:46 PDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 01:23:04PM -0400, Prof. Levine wrote:
: It is customary at this time of year to wish others "A Gutte Yahr"
: (A good year)  However,  aren't we supposed to believe that whatever
: Hashem does is for the good,  so no matter what will happen in the
: year to come,  it will be a good year.  (We may not see it this way,
: but again whatever Hashem does is good.)

>From my blog post at http://www.aishdas.org/asp/tireh-betov

:-)BBii!
-Micha

Shetir'u baTov

The Bostoner Rebbe (of Boston) commented once on the expression
"Shanah tovah umsuqah - a good and sweet new year", which is related
to the famous custom of having apple and honey on Rosh haShanah.What
does "umsuqah -- and sweet" add, beyond the notion of "tovah -- good"?
As Rabbi Aqiva often said, "All that the All Merciful does, He does for
the good". An echo of the words of one of his rabbeim, Nachum ish Gamzu,
who would greet events that would disappoint or depress most of us with
"Gam zu letovah -- this too is for the best."

So actually, wishing one another a good year could be thought of
as being redundant. Everything is good, how could this year be any
different? However, not everything I was told was "for my own good"
was particularly pleasant. Therefore, the rebbe teaches, we wish that
the year not only be tovah, good, but also be mesuqah, sweet to our
perception as well.

Along the same lines, I had a thought about a phrase in Shabbos and Yom