[Avodah] How does Prozbul work?

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Sep 10 20:00:56 PDT 2015

R' Micha Berger wrote: <<< I was mostly dismissing your mentioning the lack
of qinyan sudar. We can make a shaliach without one, for a ha'aramah. >>>

I presume you mean like how I can make the rav my shaliach for mechiras
chometz without any kinyan. (In practice we do make a kinyan, but only as a
chumrah.) So I don't need a kinyan at pruzbul either, and I can make the
beis din a shliach without any kinyan. Okay. But if so, then exactly what
is it that I'm making the beis din my shaliach FOR? What are they doing on
my behalf?

If I am making them my shaliach to collect my loans on my behalf, then that
sounds like Rav Asher Weiss' explanation. Sure, beis din is patur from lo
yigos, but it was a big chidush to me that that's enough to exempt me from
being m'shamet a loan that I still own. (But if one wants to go with the
Collection Agency idea, then shlichus is irrelevant - beis din would need
to own the loan.)

Akiva Miller