[Avodah] 13 Middos

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Sep 10 18:25:58 PDT 2015

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 12:37:41AM -0400, Moshe Yehuda Gluck via Avodah wrote:
: R' Micha Berger wrote:
:> The notion of magic words that gain even a measure of mechilah without
:> necessitating teshuvah would be very problematic. >>>

: I see it as more of a symbol of Hashem's love for His people: "If you
: sin, even if you're not up to doing the Teshuvah that you should be doing,
: here's a "ticket" of sorts that I'm giving you now to show my love for
: you, that if you 'remind' me of it after you sin, that will demonstrate
: that you see yourselves as close to me, and I'll give you some measure
: of forbearance for the sins, even in the absence of full Teshuvah."

But spending time demonstracting our desire for or actual closeness to
HQBH is itself arguably a measure of teshuvah.

And in any case avoids my problem with ascribing power to a sequence
of syllables in and of themselves.

Micha Berger                 Time flies...
micha at aishdas.org                    ... but you're the pilot.
http://www.aishdas.org                       - R' Zelig Pliskin
Fax: (270) 514-1507