[Avodah] How does Prozbul work?

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Sep 10 17:20:47 PDT 2015

R' Micha Berger wrote:  <<< I actually thought pruzbul only works because
ha'aramah is okay (sometimes) when you're avoiding a derabbanan >>>

Agreed. But there still has to be rules, logic, framework. My original post
was a request for help in identifying those rules. (And for now, Rav Asher
Weiss' explanation seems quite plausible.).

Example: If the streets in my town are a reshus harabim, there's no way to
carry on Shabbos without actual walls. If the streets are merely karmelis,
then we can make a haarama to say that the area is surrounded by a series
of doorways.  But they have got to be real halachic doorways; if even one
lechi has the string on the side instead of above, forget it.

So too here. I don't mind being moser to beis din, if only I was clear on
what it is that I'm giving them, and how that happens, and what it
accomplishes.

Akiva Miller